Wait, it is Thursday - this has just been a really long week.
In the spirit of spring and all things fresh, here we have the most simple chicken recipe you could possibly ask for. To make Basil and Lemon Chicken, all you need is two chicken breasts, basil, green onions (scallions), and a lemon. Its easy to throw together for your own dinner or if you're having guests.
This baked chicken takes about 45 minutes from start to finish and is great for a warm spring night. Or a hot spring night if you live here. Especially when you pair it with the best roasted broccoli you'll ever have. I have no doubt in my mind I could eat an entire bag of it if it was cooked this way and staring up at me all warm, slightly browned, and parmesean-y.
But wait - there's more. The broccoli.
When cooking for Brian and I, we will typically buy a bag of fresh broccoli and spread half of it out onto another foil lined baking sheet while simultaneously turning the oven onto 425. I know, it's a lot to handle. But if you're buying fresh broccoli, you'll want to cut them from the stalks, leaving about an inch, before laying out on the pan.
Roast this for 20 to 25 minutes, until crisp-tender and the tips of some of the florets are browned. Ugh I'm craving some right now. While it's roasting, assemble the army: about 1 teaspoon lemon zest, pine nuts, shredded or grated Parmesean, and lemon juice.
Once the broccoli is removed from the oven, immediately toss with all these ingredients. Serve hot.
Basil and Lemon Chicken
- 6 boneless chicken breasts
- ½ cup scallions, chopped
- ½ cup basil, chopped
- 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Extra basil and lemon for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In large bowl, mix together onion and basil. Add juice of one lemon. Salt and pepper to taste.
2. Place chicken in foil-lined, oiled baking pan. Mix and rub the scallion/lemon/basil mixture onto chicken breasts. Drizzle with more olive oil.
3. Bake, uncovered, for about 30-35 minutes, depending on size of the chicken.
4. Garnish with more basil and lemon slices, if desired. Can be served hot or cold.
Parmesan Roasted Broccoli
- 1 pounds fresh broccoli, rinsed and trimmed
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- Extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted or plain
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, enough to sprinkle over broccoli
- 2 tablespoons julienned fresh basil leaves (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Cut the broccoli florets from the thick stalks, leaving an inch or two of stalk attached to the florets, discarding the rest of the stalks. Place on a sheet pan in a single layer.
2. Toss the garlic on the broccoli and drizzle with olive oil, ensuring each floret has olive oil.
3. Sprinkle with the and pepper. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes, until crisp-tender and the tips of some of the florets are browned.
4. Remove the broccoli from the oven and immediately toss with additional drizzle of olive oil, the lemon zest, lemon juice, pine nuts, Parmesan, and basil. Serve hot.