Tartine's Spicy Chicken with Guacamole

If I had to pick any neighborhood in Manhattan to live in comfortably, it would be the West Village; it's charming and quaint (as quaint as it can be with its 34,000 residents). Full of great restaurants, bars, and shops, this 'hood is not to be missed if you're visiting NYC. Try out signature Village bakery Magnolia's banana pudding for a real treat. I'll be posting that recipe soon!

One night we met up with some friends at a West Village French bistro Tartine. I'd definitely recommend this popular corner spot if you're ever in the neighborhood, but be prepared to wait for a table, or arrive early - it's tiny. On the brighter side, the restaurant is BYOB so go ahead and bring a bottle (or two) of your favorite wine to enjoy with your dinner.

I can be quite indecisive when it comes to ordering, so sometimes I ask the waiter's opinion. ;o) When I asked him what to order, he told me the Spicy Chicken with Guacamole is most popular entree on their menu - so that's what I picked!



Who would have ever thought to dip your chicken in guacamole? The French are always surprising us.

I recreated this recipe at home and am excited to share it with y'all. I used a modified version of Giada DeLaurentis' spicy seasoned chicken recipe and used fresh guacamole from Whole Foods (it's the best). I've never served it with frites, but next time I think I'll try that.

Have you ever attempted to recreate a recipe from your favorite restaurant? I'd love to hear your stories!



Spicy Chicken with Guacamole

  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
  • 1 tablespoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • ½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
  • 2-3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
  • 6 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 cup fresh guacamole

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Slice chicken breasts into strips, then into 1 or 2 inch thick cubes.  Place cubes into oiled baking pan.

2.  In a separate bowl, combine spices with lemon juice and garlic. Mix well.  Pour and rub this mixture over chicken pieces.  Brush tops of chicken with oil. 

3. Bake 30-40 minutes.  Serve with fresh guacamole and french fries.

2 comments:

  1. This looks awesome! How did it compare to the original?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was yummy; theirs was just spicier! Next time I make it I'm going to really load up the red pepper flakes! :)

      Delete