Bananas Foster Waffles

I think I'm in need of a summer playlist. I didn't even know what Blurred Lines was until a few weeks ago (embarrassing). I listen to the same mix of 43 songs on my iPod - some new, some old, and some classics, like Jack Johnson's Banana Pancakes. Its one of my favorite songs ever - the lyrics just speak to me: lazily sleeping in on a rainy day and making a delicious breakfast. That's pretty much the story of my life, rain or shine.

So after the 7,000th time hearing the song over the last few weeks, I figured I might as well take Jack's advice. Except that I'm partial to waffles over pancakes, so I made Bananas Foster Waffles.



This recipes uses maple syrup instead of the traditional brown sugar used for Bananas Foster, since I was pairing it with waffles. But you could try it with both or one or the other. I also used vanilla extract, dark rum, butter, and cinnamon. The sauteed bananas are poured over waffles, topped whipped cream and dusted with cinnamon to produce a pretty sweet breakfast dish.

 


I made the waffles first, and kept them warm in the oven at 200 degrees F until the topping was ready. A perfect Sunday morning breakfast!



Bananas Foster Waffles

  • 3-4 bananas, peeled and cut diagonally into slices 1/2 inch thick
  • 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
  • 3/4 cup maple syrup
  • 3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 2 tablespoons dark rum 
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar (optional)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or extract
  • 6-8 Belgian waffles (I'm being transparent here. I use Bisquick. Sorry I'm not sorry I find it great. Use whatever waffle recipe you'd like!)

1. Cook waffles according to directions.

2. In a large sauté pan over medium heat, melt the butter with the maple syrup over medium heat. Stir in the cinnamon, rum and vanilla and simmer for 1 minute.

3. Add the bananas to the pan and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bananas to a serving plate. Pour the maple syrup mixture into a sauceboat. Serve immediately with waffles and whipped cream. Serves 4.

0 comments:

Post a Comment