Before The Thaw

February was a dreary month, but this last week was a pretty good one. We celebrated my dad's birthday last weekend, and celebrated the end of a home cooked surf-and-turf dinner with Lulu the Baker's amazing caramel-chocolate-oat creation Carmelitas. A perfect dessert if I've ever had one.

Wednesday was my big day out. I enjoyed a co-workers birthday lunch at Tarrant's Cafe and also experienced my first happy hour at Lemaire, located in the iconic The Jefferson Hotel. My friend Carrie and I sat in the lounge area and enjoyed our cocktails, Sweet Potato & Butternut Squash Soup, and the best peanuts I've ever eaten. I've never had, or heard of, a house-smoked peanut before (and certainly have never been this excited about a peanut), but I could have eaten a pound. I'm craving more as I write this even after the heartburn I endured. So good!

But now March is here and there are so many things to look forward to this month, I can't even list them all. Here are some highlights:

Daylight Savings Time and The First Day of Spring!
A month ago the sun would never dream of hanging out until six in the evening. Like most people, the fact that it's still lingering around at that time now makes me very happy.  On March 10th it'll be around even longer so don't forget to set your clocks!  Spring is only ten days behind!

Spring and Summer Concert Series!
Last spring in New York City, we were able to catch a few of our favorite acts at relatively inexpensive concerts and festivals in the area. First we saw We Are Augustines (and met the drummer, Rob Allen) at Webster Hall. Then came The Shins and The Avett Brothers at Terminal 5. You can check out what's coming to these venues and more at The Bowery Presents. Around that same time we had our first, transcendent experience at Saved By The 90's Night with The Bayside Tigers at The Canal Room.  If you grew up in the 90's, or if you just have a penchant for the genre, I encourage you to check this show out. It is quite simply the pinnacle of cover bands. We actually met this drummer too - what's going on here? Sometimes they even bring along relics from the past for guest appearances (we were treated to the musical stylings of Sophie B. Hawkins). They play there every Friday night. We then went south to see Incubus and AWOLNATION at the DC101 Chili Cookoff, then back to Brooklyn for The Great Googa Mooga where Hall and Oats, Fitz and the Tantrums, and the Roots were playing.

By the time we moved back down to Richmond, we were able to treat ourselves to (another) Avett Brothers show at Innsbrook After Hours and Old Crow Medicine Show and The Lumineers at Maymont Park.


Wow! Looking back, we went to a lot of shows last year! And it doesn't look like this year is going to be any different. We can't wait to go to Friday Cheers on Brown's Island and see The Lone Below with Radical Face and the Head and the Heart. Iron & Wine is playing at Lewis Ginter Groovin' in the Garden, too. Tickets are on sale now so we hope to see you there! This is just for starters, I'm sure there will be more shows on the horizon!

March Madness!
No, not basketball. Food. I've been planning a bracket post comparing a couple of our favorite NYC foods to their equivalents here in RVA. I'm going to be eating a lot of pizza this month. :)

First Guest Recipe!
Our brother and sister-in-law have graciously shared their favorite weeknight pasta recipe with me so that I can share it with y'all next week. Thanks Peter and Sara!

Celebrations!
We have lots of family birthdays this month - Happy Birthday Mom, Oma, and Zack, who is 21 at MIDNIGHT! St. Patrick's Day isn't my favorite holiday but it's definitely a good excuse to get together with girlfriends in DC. I can't wait to reunite with my fellow Beta Nu Tridelts in Blacksburg at the end of the month, either! I'll also start celebrating National Food Holidays in better fashion. Did you know that today is National Peanut Butter Lover's Day?

And...
If you haven't already, be sure to follow Bevy on Facebook. At the end of every month we'll do Bevy Recipe Roundup and add all the pictures/recipe links from the month's recipes to our Facebook album.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. I think if we all follow this list from Char No. 4, we should be set.



0 comments:

Post a Comment