This is the holy fish taco trinity. For our family cookbook we created last year, Brian's aunt contributed a recipe that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit would all approve. We decided to make these one warm spring evening and pretend we were on Cabo's patio, sippin' on a Workman's margarita or two. And, in anticipation of Cinco de Mayo and all the unhealthy, fried Mexican foods to choose from, we wanted to share a healthy dinner recipe that you and all your amigos/amigas will enjoy.
Bake for 9-10 minutes, until fish flakes easily with a fork, or until desired degree of doneness. Ours took around 11 minutes because our oven is just funny like that.
Place the fish in a bowl and break into pieces with a fork. Heat your tortillas according to package directions and divide the broken up fish evenly among them. Top each with shredded cabbage (or sliced in my case - still unsure how to shred cabbage) and crema to your liking. You should also top it with chunky guacamole.
Fish Tacos with Lime-Cilantro Crema
- ¼ cup green onions, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fat-free mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon lime rind, grated
- 1½ teaspoons fresh lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1½ pounds red snapper or tilapia fillets
- 8 (6-inch) corn or flour tortillas
- 2 cups cabbage, shredded
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. To prepare crema, combine first eight ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
2. To prepare tacos, combine cumin, coriander, paprika, red pepper, salt, and garlic powder in a small bowl. Sprinkle spice mixture evenly over both sides of fish. Place fish on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake for 9 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness.
3. Place fish in a bowl and break into pieces with a fork. Heat tortillas according to package directions. Divide fish evenly among tortillas; top each with ¼ cup cabbage and 1 tablespoon crema.