Meatless Monday: Southwestern Quinoa Salad

Happy Meatless Monday!

Since Brian and I began cutting back on heavy starches, like potatoes and rice, quinoa is one of my new favorite sides. Full of fiber, protein, and other great things for you, I'm finding myself purchasing it more often at the store and seeing it featured on menus at restaurants. If you've ever been to Whole Foods (and who hasn't) and indulged in their amazing salad bar, you may have tried the delicious Southwestern Quinoa Salad. Here's my copy cat version of it.




Southwestern Quinoa Salad
  • 1 can of black beans, drained
  • 1 can of corn, drained
  • 1 large red pepper, diced
  • 1/2 jalepeno pepper, diced OR 1 whole pepper, diced if you like extra spicy
  • 1/2 cup of fresh cilantro, chopped
  • 1/2 a large red onion, finely chopped
  • Cumin, black pepper, and paprika to taste

1. Cook quinoa as directed on package.  While it's cooking, chop up vegetables.

2. Once the quinoa is fully cooked, add it to a large mixing bowl with the vegetables and beans. Sprinkle cumin, paprika, and black pepper to taste and stir until well blended.




As you can see, I used two packages of quinoa, which made a ton - definitely more than enough for two meals for two people. I think next time, one will be plenty. I made this on a Monday and Brian and I enjoyed it for lunch the whole week. It's a great alternative to boring sandwiches.



I love how versatile this salad is. It's good served warm, cold, or at room temperature. You could also add spiced chicken or shrimp for a heartier meal, or serve in a tortilla with a bit of salsa and cheese. I also like it because I'm always looking for new ways to eat and enjoy food - including meatless and vegan options. Healthy and delicious :o)

0 comments:

Post a Comment