A Black Sheep Birthday

I love a good birthday. Who doesn't? Anybody and everybody can celebrate Christmas, Valentine's Day, or New Year's, but your birthday is your day. Most importantly because you get first pick on where to go out to eat, and no one can say anything at all cause...it's ya birthday (go shorty).

To celebrate Brian's birthday this past Sunday, we had lunch at The Black Sheep, a sandwich shop in the VCU area. Well, it's more than just a sandwich shop, it's pretty unique - amongst other things, they serve two foot long, oversized battleship sandwiches that even Adam Richman of Man v. Food couldn't handle.



...and now you see why!

We came in around noon and got a table for three right away in their small, but cozy and eclectically-decorated place. I'm a sucker for some good-looking exposed brick. I ordered a delicious iced coffee that I sipped on while perusing the menu, attempting to make a decision. Did I want the bacon/avocado/pimento cheese on Texas Toast? Yes. Biscuits and gravy? Never say never. Scrambled ggs with avocado salsa over a jalepeno gritcake? I just couldn't choose. And the menu isn't online, so I couldn't stalk my choices beforehand. :o(

I love when I don't have dissonance about what I order. This was one of those times.

It was one of the best brunches I've ever had, called Green Eggs and Lamb. It was a frittata with potato chunks, spinach, creamy pesto, and melted swiss cheese topped with a lamb and pork sausage.  I ate half there, a quarter of the second half for breakfast this week...and I still have leftovers.


The boys ordered the USS Saltana and USS Congress sandwiches. They came on their own individual cutting boards and our waitress asked if we knew they were this big. We said no, and were embarrassed. C'est la vie.

I can't remember everything, but one was pork and the other a lamb/beef combo. What's so great about that? Well, the devil is in the details. Banana ketchup. Peach chutney. Thick, rippled bacon. Etcetera. Etcetera. A crispy French baguette that's crunchy, yet still edible. Considering they both came close to finishing them, I think they liked it.


I mean...the subs pretty much span an arms length of a full grown man. It's an animal.

The Black Sheep has creative dishes, a great space, and quality food. It's clear they care about what they serve, and people (aka me) appreciate that! Take an out of towner. Take it to go. Take it however you'd like, just make sure you get here soon.







0 comments:

Post a Comment